Over half of a home’s energy usage goes to cooling and heating. Proper care and usage of an HVAC system can help the homeowner save money and benefit the environment. In this article, homeowners can get tips that will help them keep their homes comfortable and energy-efficient.
- Check the air filter once per month and change it when necessary. Frequent filter inspections are especially vital during times of heavy system usage, such as during the winter and the summer. Changing the filter will result in better airflow, and it will keep contaminants out of the home, lowering monthly utility bills by up to 15%.
- Get AC Services Clearwater once per year. Even the most energy-efficient units won’t work at their peak if they aren’t regularly serviced and maintained.
- Set the thermostat at the right level. Keep it at 78 degrees in the summer and at 68 in the wintertime. Don’t use your AC in the warm season when the temperature falls lower than 78 degrees.
- Ensure that the home is properly weatherproofed and sealed, especially around doors and windows. When the fireplace isn’t being used, keep the flue closed, and ensure that cooling and heating ductwork are sealed.
- If the home’s HVAC system is more than ten years old, it should be professionally inspected by AC Services Clearwater.
- Homeowners should consider replacing these systems with an Energy Star-rated system.
- Use ceiling fans if possible. Using a ceiling fan instead of the AC can cut energy expenditures by 60% or more.
- Use natural ventilation, vegetation and shading for greater passive cooling and increased energy efficiency.
- Choose the right system for the home. A new, energy-efficient HVAC system should be a match for the size of the home. A good rule is to purchase a unit that offers a 20-BTU capacity for every square foot; the number can be less if passive cooling techniques are used. No matter how energy-efficient a unit is, if it’s not sized properly, it will overwork itself.
- Limit cooking, dishwashing and laundry to the coolest parts of the day (the late evening and early morning). Dryers, dishwashers and ovens tend to heat up the entire home.
A new, energy-efficient HVAC unit from website domain can bring more comfort into the home, but there are other ways to save energy and money. By following the above tips, homeowners can stay comfortable while saving each month.
Like us on Facebook.